St. Joseph Mercy Oakland’s (SJMO) Cancer Program offers a continuum of advanced cancer treatment, from acute inpatient care to outpatient services, cutting-edge diagnostic and surgical options and award-winning palliative care. Approximately 1,000 patients each year choose us for their comprehensive cancer treatment.
Our program accreditation with commendation by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer demonstrates that we meet the highest quality care standards. We have access to ongoing clinical trials and new treatment options, so patients can receive the latest treatments while remaining home, where they are most comfortable.
Here are just a few of the SJMO Cancer Program highlights:
- Our multidisciplinary team of cancer specialists meets weekly to coordinate the most appropriate treatment plan, which is individualized to meet the physical, mental and spiritual needs of our patients, their families and the community.
- National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC) accreditation for our breast program—one of the first organizations in Michigan to achieve this prestigious honor.
- One of the first Breast Imaging Centers of Excellence programs in the state recognized by the American College of Radiology (ACR).
- Comprehensive Breast Center offering the following services—plus much more:
- MammoPlus® - patients are provided a digital mammography screening PLUS a lifetime assessment for breast cancer at the time of their screening mammography. See flyer
- RiskPlus™- offers in-depth genetic counseling and risk evaluation for women who are oted to be at increased risk of breast cancer on their MammoPlus evaluation. See flyer
- RapidResults®- provides same-day access to all appropriate breast diagnostic services--all the way through biopsy, if needed. See flyer
- Dedicated nurse navigators for our breast diagnostic, breast cancer and lung programs.
- Addition of I-Logic equipment to allow physicians to use Electromagnetic Navigational Bronchoscopy (ENB), expanding our lung cancer program capabilities. Using ENB, physicians can view deeper into the lungs, better enabling them to diagnose, stage and prepare to treat lung treatment lesions.
- Gynecologic Oncology Program directed by one of the only 13 gynecologic oncologists in the state who is dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of women with cancer of the reproductive organs.
- Nationally recognized Radiation Oncologists and the latest advances in Radiation Oncology treatment, including TomoTherapy–the first treatment of its kind in Oakland County, along with IMRT/IGRT and HDR, to name a few.
- More than 150 clinical trials available for every stage of cancer—from prevention and symptom management to treatment. Our major affiliate is the Mayo Clinic, although we offer trials from every national cooperative in the country.
- Certified genetic counselor that identifies patients and families at increased risk for hereditary cancer and counsels them in order to promote awareness, early detection and cancer prevention.
- Cancer Resource and Support Center that serves as a comfortable, “one-stop shop” for information and education on cancer topics, social support and counseling, complementary therapies and classes and access to cancer experts and community resources.
- Cancer Center comprised of an expanded Infusion Center for outpatient chemo and IV therapy, a physician practice and the Cancer Resource and Support Center.
- Extensive community outreach programs to educate and screen the community for the following cancers: breast; colorectal; oral, head and neck, and prostate.
- Member of the Mercy Cancer Network (MCN),one of Michigan’s largest cancer care networks that links local hospitals and cancer centers throughout Michigan to provide patients and families access to the most advanced medicine and latest in cancer diagnostics, clinical research trials and therapeutic technology.
For more information, call St. Joseph Mercy Oakland’s Cancer Program at 248-858-3456.
American Cancer Society
American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer
American Lung Association
American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
Mercy Cancer Network (MCN)
Michigan Cancer Consortium
Michigan Cancer Resource Consortium Community Clinical Oncology Program (CCOP)
National Cancer Institute