Notify your physician if you become ill prior to surgery.
You must have a responsible adult accompany you to and from the hospital. You will not be allowed to drive for 24 hours after your surgery due to the anesthetic.
Before you leave home, shower and wash your hair. Trim your nails and remove any nail polish. Do not wear make-up.
If you have an advanced directive, bring it to the hospital with you.
If you have questions, write them down. Take your list of questions with you.
The day before your surgery, follow a light/low fat diet.
Sample Menu for a Low Fat Diet
Whole-grain cereal with a banana
Whole wheat toast with jelly or margarine (1 tsp)
Coffee or tea
Fat-free vegetable soup with saltine crackers
Lean hamburger (3oz cooked-with mustard and reduced-calorie mayonnaise* (1 tbsp)
Sliced tomato and lettuce
Fresh fruit salad
Tossed salad with reduced-calorie dressing* (2 tbsp)
Broiled skinless chicken breast (3oz cooked)
Herbed brown rice
Whole-grain roll with margarine* (1tsp)
Angel food cake with fresh berries
Coffee or tea
* Limit fats to 3-5 servings
It is important that you follow these instructions or your operation will be postponed or cancelled. This is for your own safety. After eleven pm the night before your operation:
- Do not eat anything. This includes any kind of food.
- Do not suck on hard candy breath mints, cough drops or chew gum.
- Do not smoke the evening before, or the day of surgery. In addition, smoking is not allowed anywhere on the St. Mary Mercy Hospital campus.
- You may brush your teeth or rinse your mouth.
- Some patients require bowel prep before their operation.
- If your operation is late in the day, you may be given special instructions about eating and drinking before surgery.
- If instructed by your physician to take medications the day of surgery, you may take them with a sip of water. It is important to follow your physician's instructions.