St. Mary Mercy Livonia hosts 4th Annual “Embrace Life” 5K run/walk for Cancer and “Celebration of Health” Community Open House September 12, 2010
(Livonia, MI) – St. Mary Mercy Hospital is hosting its 4th Annual “Embrace Life” 5K run/walk for Cancer on September 12 at 9 a.m. Over 530 people participated in last year’s 5K, raising over $18,000. Proceeds will support Cancer Services at St. Mary Mercy Hospital, including mammogram screenings, support groups, and access to care for those in need.
The 5K run/walk is for cancer awareness. It is a celebration of life for cancer survivors, for those who have cancer, and an opportunity for family members and friends to participate to honor or remember a loved one.
· Awards will be given to the first, second and third place overall male and female winners of each age division of the 5K Run.
· The USATF-certified course begins on St. Mary Mercy Hospital grounds and runners/walkers are then routed through the residential streets of Livonia.
· Runners and walkers who register before September 3 are guaranteed a race T-shirt.
· Visit www.stmarymercy.org to register or for more information. Registration is $22 before
September 3; and $27 from September 4 to race day.
Following the 5K, beginning at 10:30 a.m. is the “Celebration of Health” Community Open House, a wonderful, family-friendly event that offers a variety of FREE activities for all ages—kids and adults.
· Blood Pressure and Bone Density Screenings
· Education and Prevention for Cancer, Diabetes, Stroke, Heart Disease, and more
· “Ask the Doctor” Booth
· Meet our Stroke Robot B.U.S.T.E.R. and our Pet Therapy dogs
· Tour the operating room and meet our new da Vinci surgical robot
· Teddy Bear Clinic (bring your stuffed toys)
· Inflatable Bouncers
· Hockey Slap Shot Game
· Livonia Fire Truck, Police, Huron Valley and Concord Ambulance and Midwest MedFlight Helicopter
· Civil Air Patrol Unit: Livonia Thunderbolt Squadron
· Clowns, balloon animals and face art
· Kids’ crafts
· Music by the Sunset Boulevard Band
· Road Runner Demonstration Trailer
· Meet Dora the Explorer!
· Magic Shows at 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. with Jason Hudy
· Food and Refreshments, prizes, and more!
Thank you to our sponsors: BrightHouse Networks, Comcast, The Observer & Eccentric Newspapers, Livonia Family YMCA, Laurel Park Place Mall, Plymouth Whalers Hockey, and Archiver’s.