Methamphetamine is stimulant drug. A strong form of the drug is illegal sold on the streets. A much weaker form of the drug comes as a prescription for the treatment of narcolepsy.
This article focuses on the illegal street drug. The street drug is usually a white crystal-like powder, called "crystal meth." This powder can be snorted up the nose, smoked, swallowed, or dissolved and injected into a vein.
A methamphetamine overdose may be acute (sudden) or chronic (long-term).
An acute methamphetamine overdose occurs when someone accidentally or intentionally takes this drug and has side effects, which can be life-threatening.
A chronic methamphetamine overdose refers to the health effects seen in someone who uses the drug on a regular basis.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Methamphetamine is a common but illegal drug sold on the streets. It may be called meth, crank, speed, crystal meth, and ice.
A much weaker form of methamphetamine is sold as a prescription under the brand name Desoxyn. It is used to treat narcolepsy. However, it is not often used.
Methamphetamine most often causes a general feeling of wellness (euphoria) that is usually called "a rush." Other symptoms increased heart rate, increased blood pressure, and large wide pupils.
If you take a large amount of the drug, you will likely have some more dangerous side effects, including:
Heart stops (in extreme cases)
Coma (in extreme cases)
Kidney damage and possibly kidney failure
Severe stomach pain
Long-term use of methamphetamine can lead to significant psychological problems, including:
Severe inability to sleep (insomnia)
Major mood swings
Other symptoms may include:
Missing and rotted teeth (called "meth mouth")
Severe weight loss
Skin sores (boils)
If you believe someone has taken methamphetamine and they are having bad symptoms, immediately get them medical help. Take extreme caution around them, especially if they appear to be extremely excited or paranoid.
If they are having a seizure, gently hold the back of the person's head to prevent injury. If possible, turn the head to the side in case they vomit. DO NOT try to stop their arms and legs from shaking.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
Patient’s approximate age and weight
How much of the drug was taken?
How was the drug taken? (For example, was it smoked or snorted?)
How long has it been since the person took the drug?
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What to expect at the emergency room
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. The patient may receive:
Fluids through a vein
Medications to calm them down and get their heart rate and blood pressure back to normal
Blood and urine tests
Electrocardiogram (EKG) to check for heart damage
Activated charcoal and laxative if the drug was taken by mouth
How well a patient does depends on the amount of drug taken and how quickly treatment was received. The faster a patient gets medical help, the better the chance for recovery.
Psychosis and paranoia may last up to 1 year despite aggressive medical treatment. Memory loss and difficulty sleeping may be permanent. Skin changes and tooth loss are permanent unless the person has cosmetic surgery to correct the problems.
An extremely large overdose can cause death.
Goldfrank LR, Flomenbaum NE, Lewin NA, et al, eds. Goldfrank's Toxicologic Emergencies. 8th ed. New York, NY: McGraw Hill; 2006.
Eric Perez, MD, Department of Emergency Medicine, St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.