- Have you found lately that you have difficulty chewing or swallowing?
- Do you avoid eating dry or chewy foods?
- Does your voice sound "wet" after you swallow?
- Does your senior parent or spouse frequently cough or choke when drinking water?
The Speech Pathology Department at Chelsea Community Hospital provides expert evaluation and treatment of swallowing problems. We can perform a swallow study and provide swallow therapy. This may include improving your muscle strength and coordination of your swallow pattern, and education and training in strategies to avoid coughing and choking. Ask your doctor for a referral to Speech-Language Pathology or contact us at 734-593-5620.
Memory and Thinking Skills in Daily Living
- Do you or a family member have a recent decline in thinking or memory skills?
- Do you have trouble remembering your way in a familiar setting?
- Is it more difficult for you to count change, or manage your checkbook lately?
- Have reading, writing or watching television become difficult due to problems concentrating, or changes in memory or vision?
- Do you rely more on family members lately to help with managing your finances or scheduling your appointments?
The Speech Pathology Department at Chelsea Community Hospital can help you improve your memory and organization skills. We provide testing to determine the nature of your memory loss, and training in strategies to help you maintain your independence. If you are having difficulty concentrating, finding your way around, or remembering important details, the speech-language pathologists at Chelsea Community Hospital are ready to help. Ask your doctor for a referral to Speech-Language Pathology or contact us at 734-593-5620.
- Are you having trouble thinking of the words you want to say?
- Is it harder for you to pronounce words than it used to be?
- Do you have difficulty understanding unfamiliar people?
- Have you noticed a recent problem with reading the newspaper, or understanding how to use the telephone?
The Speech Pathology Department at Chelsea Community Hospital can help you. We will thoroughly evaluate the communication skills you use in everyday living. If you have noticed any recent changes in your ability to speak, understand, read, or write, our experienced staff is ready to help. Our standardized speech and language assessment and treatments include the most up-to-date methods of addressing communication difficulties that result from brain injury, stroke or degenerative disease. We have recently added the VisagraphÂ® and Reading PlusÂ® Programs to specifically treat the functional reading difficulties that result from aging, neurological diseases and brain injury. Ask your doctor for a referral to Speech-Language Pathology or contact us at 734-593-5620.
If you need help finding a physician, please call our Physician Referral Line at 734-593-5899.
Speech-Language Pathology Swallow Evaluation Information
Neuro Rehab Program Speech-Language Pathology Information for Physicians
Fall Prevention Program Prescription Form
Call for appointments: 734-593-5620.
Inside the main hospital off the main hallway.
Visual Language Rehabilitation